Glenn Taylor Alberta Party Leader

To learn more about me please visit www.albertaparty.ca

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Conversing With Albertans or The Journey Has Begun...

It began with a phone call from a friend who asked me if I was interested in attending a small social gathering of some very interesting and influential citizens here in Alberta, plus I’d get to go to an Oilers game. After about 5 seconds of thinking I quickly indicated my interest and boy, am I glad I did.
I met a group of informed, engaged and very prominent people who pay close attention to what is happening in Alberta including our government and politics.  They were concerned about the future of our province and the legacy we will leave future generations.  I can say without reservation that this was the most distinguished and experienced group of people I have ever had the pleasure to share ideas and perspectives with and I learned a lot.  
They were looking for a casual chat with someone engaged in politics but not connected to the PC Party. I discovered that they also had a keen interest in the Alberta Party potential.  That was encouraging, because these are folks that have worked for years as volunteers and fundraisers, both for various social causes and for political parties and people  they believe in. As individuals each have put time, effort and resources into the things that they believe in, and have been incredibly successful while doing so.
It was obvious that these folks were very comfortable in each other’s company and had known each other for some time. It was even more obvious that they were intimately familiar with the inner workings of the Alberta Government and ultimately that they were very concerned, almost from a paternal sort of way, for the future of this great Province that they had helped to nurture and build.
 It was a great night, the Oilers were winning out on the ice and up in our vantage point we discussed health care, the economy, the environment, the oil sands and much else. At one point I asked a long-time self-confessed PC party activist if he believed  our current government had the ability to lead us through the challenges ahead. His answer was short but direct – “Not a chance in hell.” When we  discussed alternatives, he and others were much less sure of what the political options were.
The Liberals couldn’t get it done in 100 years so far; why would that change now?” I was told. “There is no way I could ever be a New Democrat,” said another while heads were nodding. One guest said he heard that I was involved with a new political party in Alberta, “I am, I replied.” “Is it that Wildrose Party?” he asked with obvious disdain in his voice. “No”, I replied, “The Alberta Party.” At this point the conversation got very interesting...
 Like many Albertans, I am used to being treated as kind of a pariah when I discuss my involvement with any political party other than the P.C’s.  Not  this time.  The overall reaction was  one of intense interest and curiosity about the Alberta Party as another viable option. A very in-depth conversation  took place between bites of snacks, sips of beverages and a general atmosphere of banter and good humour.
At the end of the evening, I was wished the best of luck with the  new Alberta Party.  I was told  that they were all very interested in following  its evolution  and  they will be “paying attention to my exploits.” Some comparisons were made between the young Oilers team and their winning performance on the ice that evening and to the potential of a new, young political party and a prospective future win in Alberta.
A few days later, I was in another  different but still intense  conversation over lunch in Calgary, this time with  some  members of the Alberta Party Board of Directors.   We very quickly got into a discussion about potential leadership candidates, the leadership convention and party organizing. 
It was obvious to me from the passion displayed by my hosts that they were “in it to win it” and are ready, willing and able to do the hard work necessary to build the Alberta Party into a contender next election.  These people had spent time working with opposition political parties but had lost both faith and hope that those brands could ever govern here. They were now ready to dedicate their efforts, funds and passion to building new. And again, I was encouraged to “keep going” on my personal journey for a political home as I discovered more about this newly reborn Alberta Party.
Finally, my week rounded out with a series of meetings with both experienced campaigners and seasoned vets from other political parties, balanced by coffee chats with first time campaigners that were still feeling the euphoria of the Nenshi Mayoral victory in Calgary. I had set up a series of face to face meetings, from Edmonton to Calgary, from Beaumont to Lethbridge and boy was it worth the trip.
All of these people were expressing a strong interest in The Alberta Party and a desire to do politics differently  in Alberta. All of them were encouraging me to keep on this journey, and to see where it takes me.
Upon reflection, my week was  very satisfying; I was meeting people that share such similar values with me, similar concerns and similar yearnings for something better politically in our province. I was able to reaffirm that I am not alone on this expedition, that many others are becoming fellow travellers who are interested in working to affect positive political change.  I share their belief and aspiration that we can do politics differently in Alberta.  We can have a political culture that enables and empowers individuals while we all strive to serve the greater good of all Albertans, now and in the future.
As for me, I am on a  continuation of a very interesting personal journey. My leadership in elected office at the local level has led me to leadership positions on a regional level with organizations such as GAER and FRI and at a provincial level with such as RADF and the AUMA. I’m at a place in my life where I am now looking beyond the confines of my home community and my home region.  I am exploring how I can contribute and help to influence political and governance change at a Provincial level by applying the lessons I have learned about servant leadership in local government.
I hope that you will join me and engage in active and informed citizenship, let’s bring our talents to bear and help change the political trajectory of this province so we can all achieve our potential as people and as a province.





2 comments:

  1. I love the way you frame it in terms of a personal journey, Glenn, because that's an element of public life as well (I'm doing the sermon in our church this coming Sunday -- they'll apparently take ANYONE when the minister is away -- and it's precisely on that topic. I believe that, if you take a certain kind of journey, the results will look after themselves. Looking forward to talking to you about this a whole lot more in 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to chatting with you on this subject as well Jerry. It's interesting how we are each on a journey that appears to be heading to the same destination over somewhat different, but connected paths.

    I'm pretty sure they don't take just ANYONE when the minister is away, for sure that's not something that I've ever been asked to do...

    ReplyDelete